Monday, February 9, 2009

AGE

Some of you may have noticed that I included my age in my personal description. In our culture it may be a bit suprising that a woman of my (haha) "advance" years is willing to reveal that information. Personally, I find age an item of great interest. It can be a type of benchmark to give you a more complete understanding of a person's experiences, young or old(er). I'm also of the opinion that in many areas of life, it is not chronological age that makes a person old. Attitude, perspective, maturity, behavior, knowledge, wisdom - these are some of the many factors that can be used in assessing one's "age".
I've really enjoyed my 44 years, even though some of them have been extremely difficult, and am pleased with the way they were spent, so I don't mind claiming each and every one of them.
I'm also one of those "strange" women who doesn't color her hair. I do have gray hairs, and I've earned each and every one of them. In fact, if earning were a factor, I'd have quite a few more. I've decided that I love them, partly because mine aren't gray - they're silver. I love shiny things. They're beautiful. So when I see my silver hairs in the mirror, it feels like a celebration - like putting tinsel on a tree at Christmastime.
I think that age, in some ways, could be compared with a tower in a large garden. The view of the garden at the bottom of the tower is beautiful. The climb to the top of the tower can sometimes be difficult and tiring. But once you get to the top and take a look around, the view is breath-taking. Never could you say that the view from the bottom is more beautiful than the view from the top of the tower. I think it's marvelous that life is give us the opportunity to enjoy both views, and, if we're wise enjoy the journey in between.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you whole-heartedly. My fiance and I both turned 30 last year. He took it very hard, but I didn't mind it one bit. I have many things in life left to accomplish, and I haven't been ready yet to accomplish them, so I look forward to the future.

    By the way, 44 is a great age to be because it is my absolute favorite number. It's a long story as to why, but you enjoy being such a great age!

    ReplyDelete